My cousin Emily is expecting her first baby (a boy!) in a couple of months And I keep thinking of all the random things I think she should know that nobody ever told me.
So here is my list of random tidbits in random order:
-being pregnant can be kinda sucky. Don't get me wrong, its totally worth it. But not everyone is a happy, glowing, "this is such a beautiful experience" kind of pregnant lady. And that is OK. Swelling in odd places, the inability to do simple things (you know, tie your own shoes, bend at the waist, go 10 minutes without needing to pee) can make for a grouchy person.
-sometimes when you are in labor you will throw up. Not from excruciating pain or anything like that, just because that's what your body does at that moment.
- breastfeeding hurts. Atleast for the first week or two. But it gets better and stops hurting and really is doable.
- the first time your baby poops, it will look like tar and may scare you if you don't expect it. That may not be a surprise to anyone, but when. I had my first daughter I did not k ow this and really thought I had damaged her internally. But it is normal and OK and goes away in a diaper or two.
- when it comes time to buy baby cereal, get the Gerber rice cereal, not beechnut. It has a much better consistency.
- your baby will eventually get into everything. No matter what you do, how you baby proof, or how prepared you are. And they will put it in their mouth. My oldest daughter, at 18 months figured out how to get on top of the refrigerator by pushing a stool over to the drawers, undoing the child locks, arranging the drawers as stairs and then climbing on top of the microwave. All on the 30 seconds it took me to pee (which, I might add, you learn to do extremely quickly!)
- another thing about breastfeeding, you will leak at really weird times. Like if you laugh to hard, or look at your baby and realize how much you love him/her, or if you are at the store and hear another child laugh or cry. The lansinoh pads are the way to go.
OK, that's all the random info i can come up with for now. But knowing me, I will remember more later...
No comments:
Post a Comment