Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Just a Little Rant

Since starting this blog I have tried not to be overly whiney or complain too much. But lately in my life there has been a reoccuring event that I find very bothersome and just need to get it off my chest.
I try my best to be the kind of friend that is there for my friends when they need me. I like to make time to visit with my friends, help them when they need it, and do things for them even when they don't need it. If I offer to help with something or do something for someone, it is because I WANT to, not because I feel obligated to. I will admit, with a larger family like ours, I am probably not always the best at going to friends homes to visit, but everyone is always welcome in our home. I am sure there has been more than one occassion where I completely spaced some event that was important to someone. However, when that happens I try to get in touch with whomever it was that I let down and appologize profusely for my mistake. And I appologize if I have ever not followed through with something or not made you feel welcome.
Lately, it seems that I am finding more and more people in my life don't really hold these same beliefs in friendships and I have had countless incidents where friends have backed out, canceled without telling me, just not shown up, etc etc etc. I am getting really tired of the "I would have loved to have been there for you Anna, but something better came along....." routine. And these same people then expect me to drop whatever I have going on to be there for them when they need something.  Its as though I am just here to take care of them when they need it, like I don't spend enough of my days wiping butts and cleaning up someone elses spills...Please don't miss understand, I completely understand that sometimes things just come up, we all have busy schedules, etc. But when it happens EVERY time, or when no effort is made to let me know whats going on or worse when it a very lightly veiled attempt to hide the "I have something better to do", thats when I get mad.
Well, I think it is time for that to end. I have always tried to be a good friend to everyone, but it seems lately that some people have chosen to take advantage of that and too many of these friendships were, in fact, one sided. So to my true friends, thank you for being a part of my life and I hope you will continue to do so. And to those of you who view me as a doormat, I hope you enjoyed the ride, because that ship  has officially sailed. I will always welcome you into my life when you are truly looking for friendship, but until then I wish you the best.

And now I will step down off my soapbox...

No comments:

Post a Comment