Yesterday I had Tastefully Simple party at my friend Jess' house, which meant Justin was home and in charge of the kids here. As wonderful as he is at so many things, sometime being "in charge" slips his mind, especially if there is hockey on or he decides hes going to play WoW. After I left Jess' party I stopped at the grocery store with my mom to pick up some stuff for dinner. I called Justin to see how things were going at home and he informed me that the kitchen ceiling was leaking. Ok, not a big surprise as it has happened before and it WAS raining, so it made sense. Then he told me it was because Alyvia had gone up to the upstairs bathroom, plugged the sink and played in the water as it overflowed. That also wasnt very surprising beccause I know Alyvia. I did get a little full of myself for a few minutes lamenting about how he always forgets how closely she needs to be watched because she is such a sneaky little thing. But life goes on.
That night my mom stayed for dinner and got to witness (again) the spectical that is dinner with the Keeneys. Everything started out relatively normal. We actually all sat down at the same table at the same time (a rare feat for our family it seems). But it didnt take long for things to get weird. First, Natalie said "I think one of the dogs pooped. I can smell it" and Nana agreed she smelled somethign too. We all started looking around and I found it. Somehow, without any of us noticing, my german shepherd had crept under the table with 7 people sitting around it and pooped right under it. In the middle of dinner. How lovely. The shrieks of "cover your nose!" and "ewww momm!" (like I had anything to do with it!) began ringing out as I started the cleanup process. Got it cleaned up, and I sat down to continue the meal, but by now the Keeney Chaos was in full swing. There were girls giggling, butts were no longer in chairs- they had been replaced by the feet of the children standing in them and there were some very odd jokes being told. Kids started getting down from the table, clearing plates and began spinning, flipping, dancing and the general wiggle associated with all the Keeney girls. Somewhere in the middle of all of it Alyvia decided to head into the bathroom to go potty. I looked up in time to see her grabbing at her poop floating in the toilet (dont worry, I yelled loud enough and fast enough to keep her from doing it). Then it really got silly. There was more shrieking and giggling and spinning and dancing than I thought possible. I slumped in my chair and looked down the table. And there at the other end of the table sat my mother, calmly smiling and cutting her steak and finishing her dinner like there was nothing abnormal going on at all.
Oh, and just to put me in my place and make me realize that it can happen to anyone. This morning in the time it took me to pour my cup of coffee, Alyvia let herself into the downstairs bathroom. I walked by and found her sitting, naked, in the sink full of water smiling away like it was the greatest day ever. Oh well, atleast it gave me the chance to wash her up a bit.
No comments:
Post a Comment