Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Random Tidbits

I realize that it has been quite a while since I wrote last. As those of you who have read my previous blogs can see, we are just busy all the time and it can be hard to find the time. But I have had a few thoughts swimming around my head lately that I just want to get out. Here they are, in no particular order:

I turned 32 last month. That alone was enough to make me not want to get out of bed that day. Right about the same time, my 9 year old daughter came home from school and told me she had to get a costume together for a part she was playing at school. She was going to be a 12 year old girl in the" olden times". This next part I will quote for you just exactly as she said it: "You know, like the 1980's or 1990's". Ouch.

My husband bought me an incubator and I began trying to find some fertile chicken eggs to put in to hatch out. I spent some money (he will tell you too much money) on 6 cochin eggs (http://tropicalchickies.webs.com/cochins.htm this is the lady I bought them from. They are chickens that look like they are wearing pants, and that my friends, is fantastic.) and a local lady was kind enough to give us a dozen from her chickens. Add the one that I tossed in from our own hens as an experiment, and I set a total of 19 eggs in the incubator. I have another 26 to put in the incubator next and will hopefully have a batch of a breed known as Breda Fowl after that. And that leads me to believe that I may have a hatching addiction. Its a fabulously fun thing to do, the girls get to learn several life lessons (birth, death, etc etc etc) and I get a bunch of feathery fluff balls at the end to cuddle and play with. Now before you get all panicky and call the show Animal Hoarders and try to set up some sort of an intervention, there is a plan for all of these chickens (and no it doesnt involve them getting their own room in the house). We will be keeping a few hens to add to our laying flock and the rest will be going to the local farm days to find new homes.

I am searching for an NHL team. I think that after several years as an AHL fan, with a team whos affiliation has changed several times, it is time for me to pick an NHL team*. I have ruled out Vancouver cause they just annoy me, and Philly cause Philly fans of any sport are really scary. Besides that I am open to suggestions, but please support your argument. This is a big decision that will affect every aspect of my life- changing the color scheme of several rooms in the house, naming any future pets/children/vehicles, vacation planning, budgeting to allow for jerseys to be purchased etc etc. As most who know me know, I don't halfway do anything. If I am going to do something, I go all in. So when I pick a team, it will be life altering.

Speaking of hockey. I am pretty sure we have made a die-hard fan out of miss McKenzie...only not of the entire sport. She has chosen to put her support behind a specific player (I would like to take credit for her undying loyalty, she totally gets that from me!). She has been a fan of one particular player for 2 seasons now- Igor Gongalsky (known in our family as Migor). He played for the Pirates last year and for the first part of this season. After he was released by the Pirates this year McKenzie lost interest in hockey. I didnt really connect the 2, shes 4 and has the attention span of your regular 4 year old, so I just chalked it up to that. When the season ticket holder party came along, which all of the girls usually get really excited for, she didnt even want to go. I finally asked her why she didnt feel like doing any of the hockey stuff anymore. She said "Well, Migor isnt even going to be there, so why should I go!" and gave me the typical McKenzie attitude to accompany her exclamation. But wow, that is some love from a 4 year old!

Natalie just recently had her school play in which she played Snotty Sneech from Dr Seuss' Sneetches (and other roles in their variety-style show). When the curtain went up and my baby girl was up there looking stunning and all grown up I about lost my mind. I was ready to storm the stage and demand that the make up come off and she immediately put her hair in pigtails. But instead I took a deep breath, wiped off the stray tears (pretty sure I had something in my eye, yeah...thats what caused it!), and sat back and watched as my little girl suddenly found her niche. She had such presence and poise and expression and she was FUNNY! I was so proud of her. And as today is the day after her 12th birthday, I would also like to take a moment to say I am just proud of the person she is becoming. Smart, funny, a good heart and a good head on her shoulders. She is comfortable with herself and wont let anyone dictate how she should be and I love her for all of it (even the parts that result in eyerolls and arguments here at home).

Leah is a girl constantly on the go. Her regular hockey season just ended and now she is starting both Lacrosse and a hockey clinic. So what is normally a pretty calm part of the year for us (relatively speaking of course) is turning into a regular whirlwind again! But it makes her happy and she is good at it all, so we keep going. She is not afraid to try anything and jumps right in with a smile on her face. I love how brave and happy that girl is!

No blog entry would be complete without mentioning the littlest Keeney- Miss Alyvia Jayne. She is growing like a weed, dishing out the Keeney girls typical attitude way earlier than any of the others have, and goes out of her way several times a day to ensure that we dont even consider having another baby. She pushes me right to the very edge of sanity and then melts my heart. She loves to say "i love you", she gives the BEST hugs I have ever received from such a little girl and she has a killer sense of humor already. And it really helps that she has the cutest little baby butt and thighs when shes running away from me.

What on Earth were we thinking selling the 2nd car last year?! Seriously, we must have been temporarily insane!! We have 4 kids, multiple activities and we thought 1 vehicle would be enough to get us all everywhere we need to be??? UGH!! Between Lacrosse, Hockey Clinics, Tastefully Simple, and summer break coming up (which hopefully means a couple of daycare fieldtrips), we definitely need to look into a 2nd vehicle!

I think that might be all for now, but maybe this will be the inspiration to be back in the blogosphere on a more regular basis.






*please note that this does not mean I will be abandoning my beloved Portland Pirates. That wont happen any time soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment