Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Vacation review

Today marks my first day back to work after over a week of vacation. I thought I would really dread getting up, getting ready and hearing the knock at the door this morning, but I guess the reality of it is that "vacation" and "work" aren't all that different when you are the mother of 4 and run a daycare. I think the one major difference is that I can't spend the day in my pj's on work days.

I can't say that we did anything really exciting or interesting over our little break, but we did get a lot done! The kitchen cabinets are all finished and look amazing! I got some Tastefully Simple stuff taken care of, did some curriculum planning, and hung out with my girls. On Thursday I took miss McKenzie and miss Alyvia into Portland to run some errands and we stopped in to watch the Pirates practice. McKenzie was so funny! She had to be down near the glass so she could see her buddy,Migor. However,  once she got down there she wandered back and forth using Caitlins signature hair twirl, pretending she didn't notice him. Every few minutes she would bound back up the stairs and ask me if he saw her. I was both amused and upset that my 4 year old daughter would be so interested in a boy already.
Thursday night found Justin and I pulling porcupine quills out of poor Gala's nose and face into the wee hours and again Friday morning. Anyone who knows me knows how much I love that dog and can imagine how much it was killing me to see her hurting. Somewhere in the middle of the night the combination of lack of sleep, stress, adreneline, and seeing my poor puppy in pain pushed me over the edge and I had a minor emotional breakdown. What fun. Gala is doing well now, the only sign of her scuffle is a little puffiness near one of her eyes.
Saturday we (finally!) got to see some hockey in Portland. Regardless of how the games end, I love going to see them! Its a great family activity for us (even if the older girls spend the whole time plugged in) and its a nice stress reliever for me. And since I generally like people and like to be around them, it is a great chance for me to get out and talk to other grownups and socialize in a way that doesn't bug the heck out of my husband (Justin sits and watches hockey, I watch hockey in between walking Alyvia around the lobby and chatting with whomever I run into).
Also this past week I decided my once wonderful language skills had been left to ruin for far too long and began the quest to relearn all that I have forgotten. I found that Spanish is still where I am strongest, Korean is still in there somewhere, and that my Russian skills are so sad it makes me want to cry. I also found that learning languages at 31 is no where near as easy as it was a 16. So I have been obssesively studying: making flashcards, watching videos, doing online courses. I HAVE to get these skills back!
Natalie had her final 2 cross country meets over my vacation so I was able to go see her run. It was amazing! She has definitely inherited her mothers flair for the dramatic, crossing the finish line in tears both times (thats my girl!).
And finally, Leah started her 4th season of hockey yesterday. Watching her skate, as we have every practice ad every game for each season, Justin turned to me and said "When did she learn to skate like that?" It seems our little girl isnt that same tiny little thing we first sent out on the ice having only ever skated twice before. She can hold her own out there now!

No comments:

Post a Comment