For the past couple of weeks at work, I have been learning the ropes on a new phone line. Its a little more involved than the member line that I usually work on, with a lot more claims and coding related questions and I have to give props to all of those folks that field these phone calls regularly. It is hard work, requires a sharp eye and confidence. I have done alright so far on this line, and I am sure with a little more practice I could hold my own on it....Except I don't want to.
When I started with this company, I didn't really know what I wanted to do. I knew I wanted to make a difference, but I wasn't sure what I wanted to do or who I wanted to do it for. It didn't take very long for me to realize that I had landed in a great place. And even better, that I really LOVE what I get to do every day. I help retired military members, their families, and the families of active duty personnel navigate their health insurance benefits. It may not sound like very much, and maybe it isn't changing the world. But each day I have the opportunity to change it at least a little bit for the people I speak with on the phone. I have been on the phone with someone when they found out they have cancer. They were home alone, didn't know what to do and in a panic called their insurance company. It was me that answered that call. I stayed on the phone until this person felt strong enough to get off the phone and face the world. I spoke with a man who did more than 20 years in the army and told me the story of making friends with the folks in charge of cutting orders. Somehow, he managed to get his commanding officer sent to the arctic. Another man I spoke with was in the Coast Guard and somehow found himself stationed on a boat patrolling rivers in Vietnam. Periodically, I receive faxes from another member. He sends me things via fax now because he cant hear and he doesn't want me to have to yell on the phone. I get the fax, and I take care of whatever the issue it for him. I have talked to some of the most amazing military wives. They juggle families, deployments, PCSing, and so much more. I have gotten some really great tips on managing a busy household from them, as well as lessons on what it truly means to be busy. Every phone call is the different, every person is in the middle of their own unique journey. I am privileged to get to interact with these people and so many more like them every day. And, if I am very, very lucky, I actually get to play a small role in making their lives just a little bit better each day. Every day I feel such a sense of accomplishment and fulfillment.
I feel a connection to each member I speak with. I truly believe that their insurance is not something they should have to worry about. This is a benefit they EARNED, in ways most of us cannot even begin to understand. The countless deployments, moving wherever you are told whenever you are told, lonely nights spent separated from your loved ones (whether you are the deployed military member, or the spouse at home awaiting their return). They have honestly earned this benefit through blood, sweat and tears in a way that nobody outside that group can understand and I am driven to give them the treatment they deserve when they call. It is the best way I know to say thank you.
So, while I truly realize the importance of this new line I am working on, I cannot wait to get back to the member service line that I hold so close to my heart. After all, I get to talk to heroes every day.
No comments:
Post a Comment